Lassithi Plateau: A Heavenly Retreat in Crete
Lassithi Plateau is a mesmerizing mountainous plateau that lies in the eastern region of the island of Crete. It is situated at an altitude of 800 meters and covers an area of around 25 square kilometers. It is a must-visit destination for anyone who loves nature, culture, and adventure. In this article, we will explore the various activities and culinary delights that a tourist can experience on this beautiful plateau.
How to Spend Your Day as a traveler
Lassithi Plateau offers a variety of activities to tourists of all ages. Here are a few things you can do on your visit:
- Explore the Cave of Zeus - According to Greek mythology, this is the cave where Zeus was born. The cave has an impressive stalactite and stalagmite formation and is an intriguing spot to explore.
- Visit the Windmills - The Lassithi Plateau is famous for its windmills, which are an important part of the island's cultural heritage. You can visit the windmills and learn about the traditional ways of grinding grain.
- Hiking and Walking Tours - The plateau has numerous walking and hiking trails for all skill levels. You can take a leisurely stroll or trek up to the highest peaks in the area. One of the most popular trails is the path leading to the Cave of Psychro.
- Visit the Villages - The plateau is home to several charming traditional villages such as Psychro, Tzermiado, and Agios Georgios. These villages offer a glimpse into the local culture and architecture.
hat Dishes a traveler Can Taste
Lassithi Plateau is a food lover's paradise, with its unique local cuisine and traditional dishes. Here are a few culinary delights that you should try on your visit:
- Dakos - A popular appetizer in Crete, Dakos is made with barley rusk, tomatoes, feta cheese, and olive oil.
- Kalitsounia - These are traditional Cretan cheese or herb pies that are baked to perfection.
- Gamopilafo - A hearty main course made with rice, beef, and local herbs. It is often served at weddings and other celebrations.
- Apaki - A local delicacy made from smoked pork. It is a unique flavor that you won't find anywhere else.
- Tsikoudia - This is a traditional Cretan spirit made from grape marc. It is a perfect drink to end your meal and toasting your visit.
So Lassithi Plateau is a unique destination that offers a perfect mix of nature, culture, and adventure. You can explore the plateau's breathtaking beauty, learn about the local history and traditions, and taste the delicious local cuisine. Whether you are an avid hiker, a history buff, or a food lover, the Lassithi Plateau is a must-visit destination in Crete.